Distributed Systems Developer
Digital Democracy is looking for a software developer with 5+ years of developer experience to join our small, remote team on a 6-month contract (with potential long-term) starting as soon as possible. You will help build cutting-edge open-source mobile and desktop mapping apps for remote and marginalized communities to document, map, monitor, manage and report information on environmental and human rights issues around the world.
We’ve seen firsthand that change does not come from technology, but from how people use it. We are building tools our partners are using to achieve transformative change. We are dedicated to working towards a world where all people can participate in the decisions that govern their lives.
What we’re looking for
You will work closely with the distributed systems engineering lead on the peer-to-peer architecture of Mapeo Core. You have 2+ years experience in distributed systems and are comfortable using git for collaboration. You will also interface with a large open source community as we depend heavily upon open-source code and contribute ours to the public domain.
We are a small, high-impact team that takes a collaborative approach to tool-building and decision-making. Our tool development is led by our partner communities. You would be building tools that will be tested and used by our partners to confront real problems on the ground in the Amazon and around the world: Protection of the world’s forests and their ancestral homelands from deforestation and contamination. We need someone who can think creatively and collaboratively to solve these problems.
This can be a part-time position of 20 hours per week (negotiable).
- Develop new features and bug fixes for an existing peer-to-peer architecture.
- Coordinate with the front-end engineer to integrate Mapeo Core into React/Electron desktop app and React Native mobile app.
- Develop end-to-end testing infrastructure that simulates multiple applications synchronizing data on slow and unreliable internet.
- Maintain AWS Cloud infrastructure for Mapeo Web.
- You’re comfortable working with a small team and jumping in to help where needed.
Qualities we’re on the lookout for
- Love of code. You love a challenge, value testing, and create reliable, maintainable code.
- Values-based. You share our belief in building tools that prioritize the self-determination and autonomy of our partners, and challenge legacies of colonization and extraction.
- Enthusiasm for open source. We have over 100 repositories on Github and believe in building open tools that others can contribute to and build upon.
- Self-directed. You are comfortable with managing your own priorities and tasks in coordination with a small, remote team.
- Zeal for design. A listen-based, human-centered design process is at the heart of our work. The tools you build need to be accessible and easy-to-use for smart, fast learners who have maybe never touched a computer or smartphone before.
- Hablas español. You speak more than one language, ideally Spanish. Not a requirement, but a plus for communicating with our end-users.
Our small but growing team is based in Oakland, CA; Washington, DC; New York; Montreal, Canada; Abuja, Nigeria; London & Oxford, U.K. and we welcome candidates from around the world, especially South America. We embrace distributed working, and are happy for you to work from where you live. The indigenous communities we work with have lived through colonization and deal with its effects everyday, along with marginalization and discrimination against their language and culture. It is therefore particularly important that we build a diverse team with individuals who understand and empathize with their situation. Indigenous people, people of color, women, LGBTQ folk and others who identify as coming from a marginalized identity are strongly urged to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Flexible schedule, location and hours. As an organization we embrace working smarter, not harder. We are happy for you to work from where you live, on a schedule that works for you.
- Opportunity to visit our partners in the field. Although most of the job is desk based, this role may include travel to our partner communities for workshops if you continue working with us long-term beyond the current pandemic.
- Opportunity to play a key role at a ground-breaking organization. You have the opportunity to make a big impact in a small team.
- **Compensation and benefits commensurate with experience **(our current range is $6,000–8,000 USD per month full-time equivalent), with flexible hours and opportunity to work where and when best fits your schedule.
How to Apply
Send a note with the following to email@example.com. We will review applications as we receive them.
- Why you’re interested in developing tools at Digital Democracy.
- Résumé / CV
- Examples of your work. Link to projects you’ve finished and any open source work.
- (Extra points) a story of an experience in life, work, travel or volunteering that has changed your perception or impacted your sense of purpose in the world.