Karissa McKelvey is a software developer, fundraiser, and community manager. She is the lead developer on Mapeo Desktop, as well as maintains a variety of tools and services for Digital Democracy. She is also a board member of Code for Science and Society. Formerly a data scientist, her work studying online political communication resulted in multiple peer-reviewed papers and press in outlets such as NPR and the Wall Street Journal. In addition to an experienced software and web developer, she leads teams to success with diverse projects in academia, non-profits, and industry. In her spare time she plays the trumpet and volunteers at The Debt Collective as a technology consultant.
- One year of co-design
- Solidarity Technology: Values for an Earth Defender’s Toolkit
- Renarration and Accessiblity: T B Dinesh on Localized Knowledge in Rural India
- Color Coded: Building Technologies of Respect for Our Collective Liberation
- Cooperative Ownership of Data without Blockchain
- The effect of surveillance capitalism on social change efforts, with Allen Gunn
- Local-first software for frontline communities